This year’s Reflection program theme is, What Is Your Story? Tell your story through dance, a short film, a poem or story, an original song, a photo or visual work of art.
Pick up a PTA Reflections Entry Form today from the front office and return by 10/28/2016.
Check out this website for more information: http://www.pta.org/programs/reflections.cfm?ItemNumber=4571&navItemNumber=510
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections program—support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in your school community. Celebrate arts learning in your school community with Reflections. National PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
Create an Original Work
Only new and original works inspired by the theme: What Is Your Story? will be accepted. Enter in 1 or more of the following arts categories.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Submit Your Entry
Follow your school’s PTA deadlines and instructions on how to enter. Your submission must include a completed and signed Student Entry Form.
In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you.
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
Volunteer arts and education experts review submissions without knowledge of the entrants’ identity. Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill.
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Awards & Prizes
The search is on for a future National PTA Reflections theme!
One exceptional theme will be chosen on February 1, 2017 to inspire creativity for the 2018-2019 PTA Reflections program theme. The winner will receive $100 and recognition at the Annual National PTA Convention. Theme Search judges look for a focused and clear theme promoting PTA values that is appropriate for all grades and applicable to all arts categories. Past themes are not considered.
For more information on how to enter, contact the Maryland State PTA.
- Congratulations to the 2016 Theme Search Contest Winner, Ben Berselli of Shady Grove PTA, VA. Ben’s theme Within Reach will be featured as the 2017-2018 PTA Reflections program theme.
- Congratulations to the 2015 Theme Search Contest Winner, Brianna Eisman of Douglas Anderson PTSA, FL. Brianna’s theme What Is Your Story? will be featured as the 2016-2017 PTA Reflections program theme.